25.3.17

Making Hatpins. 🎨


I made a few hatpins, which I want to use in my scrapbooks.

"Hatpins reached a peak of popularity between the 1890's and 1920's, as music hall actresses like Lillian Russell and Lillian Langtry fueled the popularity of large elaborate hats without bonnet strings. Having originated in the 1850's to secure straw hats, hatpins became longer and more ornate over time (1910 was the height of hatpin length, with the stems alone reaching 10 to 12 inches)."- Collectors weekly.


 

They are also called stick-pins. I used a salt shaker and an incense holder as hatpin holders. You can also use pincushions, cotton reels, etc. The hatpins fit in the salt shaker as well.

 


Hint: A neat trick that I used was to use Earring Butterfly Backs to keep the beads in place and prevent them from  falling off. You can also use Crimp beads, which are available at Walmart, Michaels, bead stores, etc. How-to: Attach a Crimp Bead. Here you can see I also attached charms to some.

 

Some of the supplies and tools I used were: Beads, Earring Butterfly Backs, etc. Beads are available at bead stores, craft stores, dollar stores, etc.

 

Corsage pins with white bead heads (these are 2 1/2" long), they are available from Walmart, Michaels, bead stores, etc. and are usually found in the wedding/floral departments. You can also use wire, which you cut to the desired lengths and curl at the end using round nose pliers.

Flower Hat Pin


My table while having fun. I have a set of pliers, tweezers, small scissors, etc.Most of my beads are kept in plastic storage boxes. I have a bead funnel tray which I also use for heat embossing powder.

Related:

Antique Hatpins and Hatpin Holders.

Whimsical Wire Stick Pin Tutorial!

You might also like: 

Making Spoon Rings

Tokeloshe ©

No comments: